Now entering our 48th year as The Skier's Magazine, POWDER is hiring a Managing Editor to contribute to our daily publishing operations on Powder.com, on our social media channels, and in print. This position will also include event management and production, requires being able to do this on skis (please send video evidence), and the ability to travel.
Responsibilities will include:
• Planning and managing all daily operations on Powder.com
• Manage all web-based initiatives, including buyers guides, newsletters, and contests
• Plan and approve assignments for writers and editors
• Collaborating with Editor-in-Chief to determine content for Powder.com and some departments of the print magazine
• Coordinate editorial meetings
• Oversee proofreading and edit copy when necessary
• Attend editorial events like Powder Week, Thread the Needle, industry tradeshows, and more
• Develop and manage a social media strategy for editorial and paid content
• Passion for skiing and knowledge of Powder Magazine
• AP-style journalism background desired. Know how to report on variety of subjects and be able to create daily content for Powder.com and the magazine on deadline
• Strong knowledge of Word Press, HTML, and SEO practices
• Strong knowledge of social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, and others
• Experience with Photoshop and Illustrator
• A consistent, strong, creative voice for headlines, photo captions, and social copy
• The understanding this is not a 9-5 job. It is a lifestyle decision, meaning you won’t work regular hours and you’ll be expected to travel
• Must be based in the Carlsbad, CA, office
This is a salaried, full time position with benefits.
Please submit a brief cover letter (bonus points if you make me laugh) and resume to Editor-in-Chief Sierra Shafer at email@example.com by April 8, 2019. Subject line: Managing Editor.