PHOTO: David Reddick
Everyone knows what they're supposed to do when they join a group on a chairlift as a single rider: engage in jocular bonhomie with their fellow snowsport enthusiasts. "Great snow today, right guys?" "Boy, it sure is cold out here!"
But what if you just don't have that witty repartee on the tip of your tongue? Maybe you're a bit hungover; maybe you're introverted, maybe you just can't think of anything good to say. It happens to the best of us, and when it does, keep these nine lines handy.
They're only a starting point, but the conversation they spark should get you all the way to top lift shack--provided you're a good liar:
1. Are those [INSERT SKI MODEL OTHER GUY IS RIDING]? I once saved a puppy from a burning car with a pair of those.
2. Did you know this mountain is an active volcano?
3. You know, they say this is a family friendly mountain, but you make one Hitler joke when you drop your kid off at the nursery...
4. [SNIFF, SNIFF] Do you smell methane?
5. It’s a real shame what happened to Old Man Johnson.
6. I'll tell you what: If you haven’t skied [NAME OF RESORT’S STEEPEST RUN] while tripping balls then, friend, you haven’t lived.
7. Guys, whatever you do, don't have the chili.
8. I groomed this run last night. And the best part is, I don't even work here!
9. I don't usually ride chairlifts single. Or, at least, I didn't before she left me.