(Ed’s note: The above photo gallery features select images from last year’s Ski Salt Lake Shootout.)
By Powder Staff -- Photographers hoping to compete in the Ski Salt Lake Shootout must have their applications in by January 4. The contest will take place January 30 - February 5, 2012, and features a day of shooting at each of the four Cottonwood Canyon resorts: Alta, Brighton, Solitude and Snowbird.
Photographers work with local athletes and compete for a total prize purse of $9,000. For the first time this year, photographers who have competed in past Shootouts will be allowed to compete again.
• Professional Ski Photographers based in North America.
• Local Skiers (no snowboarders this year due to feedback from the 2011 participant’s) who know Big and Little Cottonwood inside and out. Living in Salt Lake is not a requirement, but the Shootout only provides airfare and travel expenses for the photographers. Plus, out-of-state photographers usually rely heavily on the skier’s knowledge of the terrain.
• Now in its fifth consecutive year, the Ski Salt Lake Shootout is a ski photography competition that takes place in Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon. Eight professional ski photographers are paired with 16 skiers and over the course of four days compete to capture the magic of the Cottonwood Canyon Resorts for cash prizes.
• New this year: Photographers who have previously competed in the Ski Salt Lake Shootout are eligible to apply for 2012! May the best photographer win!
• The contest will be held over a four day period, with one day dedicated to each respective Cottonwood Canyon resort: Alta, Snowbird, Brighton and Solitude.
• January 30 to February 5, 2012
• Prize Money!
• Ski Salt Lake Portfolio
• 1st Place Portfolio – $3,000
• 2nd Place Portfolio – $2,000
• 3rd Place Portfolio – $1,000
• Urban Meets Mountain – $1,000
• Photographer Facebook Favorite – $1,000
• Athlete Facebook Favorite – $1,000
• Total: $9,000
• Apply online by January 4, 2012. Click here for the application.