POWDER is now accepting applications for the 2015 editorial fellowship program. This person will assist the editorial staff with Powder.com and Volume 44 of POWDER magazine.
- It is a six-month, paid position based in Carlsbad, California, starting June 1, 2015 and concluding December 18, 2015.
First and foremost, candidates must be skiers. They should have strong writing skills, a background in digital media, and experience at a newspaper, magazine, or website. They must be curious, motivated, and hard working. A degree in journalism or college writing experience is a plus, however, we encourage all college graduates with a passion for skiing and a professional interest in journalism to apply. This person must contribute to the creative, positive energy here at POWDER HQ. The fellow will work closely with the editors at POWDER, gain hands-on experience at an award-winning magazine, and receive invaluable exposure to the ski industry. The fellow will provide the following duties, but not limited to:
- Fact-checking, proofreading, reporting, writing, and filing stories for magazine and website.
- Posting to WordPress, YouTube, and other online platforms.
- Posting to social media channels--Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Assisting editorial staff with administrative tasks.
- Conceptualizing creative along staff.
- One to two years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience with a publication.
- Journalism degree desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of WordPress and HTML required.
- AP-style journalism background desired. Know how to report on variety of subjects and write AP-style pieces on deadline.
- Experience with Photoshop.
- Self-motivator capable of producing high quality work within strict deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Understand this is not a 9-5 job. It is a lifestyle decision.
- Passion for skiing and knowledge of Powder magazine.
Equipment/ Software Used:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, WordPress, Excel, InDesign, Photoshop, and iMovie and/or Finalcut Pro.
To apply, please send a resume and a one-page cover letter explaining why you'd be a good fit for the Powder Fellowship to Julie Brown at Julie@Powder.com with the subject line: Editorial Fellowship.
For 43 years, POWDER, The Skier’s Magazine, has been produced by and for those who embrace skiing, and is developed through a collective love of two things: good skiing and quality storytelling. Since its inception in 1972, POWDER, also known as The Skier’s Bible, has been based on authenticity, experience, and respect for its readers--the most passionate, dedicated, and loyal in the sport. For more information, please visit Powder.com.
About TEN: The Enthusiast Network
TEN: The Enthusiast Network LLC is the world’s premier network of enthusiast brands, such as POWDER, BIKE, SUP, SURFER, Transworld, Canoe & Kayak, and GrindTV. With more than 60 publications, 100 Web sites, the world’s largest automotive VOD channel, 800 branded products, 50+ events, TV and radio programs, TEN creates and delivers content that informs, entertains, inspires and connects with enthusiasts every day. For more information visit EnthusiastNetwork.com.