You know what POWDER readers love? Gear. Skis, boots, bindings, goggles, helmets, socks, flasks, skins… skiers use a lot of gear, and because it’s expensive, we all want to be well-informed before making a purchase. We also just want to parse manufacturer jargon in order to better understand how the latest and greatest ski technology actually works. Sound like something you can do? We’re hiring a part-time, remote position to join the POWDER staff as the team’s primary gear writer. If interested, send resume, cover letter, and clips to Powder@Powder.com.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Gear Writer, POWDER (part-time, hourly, regular) is responsible for writing digital gear reviews for POWDER. The gear writer tests and reviews products for POWDER’s online audience, and supports the edit staff in gear coverage for print. The ideal candidate must possess an understanding of the products currently available on the market. You know how many ounces are in the latest tech binding and why that matters. You know the difference between a cabrio and a two-piece boot and what bamboo does to the core of a ski. Just as importantly, you can write about these essentials in prose that is engaging, clear, concise, intelligent, and authoritative. Essential duties include but are not limited to:
• Responsible for writing three to five gear stories a week.
• Identifying all relevant new products and technological trends impacting the sport of skiing.
• Taking original, creative photos.
• Consults with client or supervisor to evaluate individual project needs.
• Reads copy to detect errors in spelling, punctuation and syntax.
• Verifies facts, dates and statistics.
• Rewrites or modifies copy to clarify meaning and to conform to publication’s style and editorial policy.
• Writes or rewrites headlines and captions according to publication requirements.
• Confers with editors regarding changes made to copy.
• Builds stories in WordPress with effective SEO and compelling social copy.
• Minimum of two years of professional writing experience.
• Shop experience preferred.
• Must be a skilled resort and backcountry skier.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
• Strong knowledge of current and past skiing hard goods, soft goods, and accessories.
• Proficient skier with experience fitting boots and mounting skis.
• Reliable, clear, and professional communication skills when interacting with brands and editors.
• The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
• The ability to ski.
• Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PhotoShop).
NOTE: This position description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.