Yater-Wallace, Bowman Tops at Killington Dew Tour
Aspen's Yater-Wallace becomes youngest Dew Tour winner in history
From The Dew Tour — Killington, Vt. (Jan. 21) — Torin Yater-Wallace showed the freeski community a glimpse of the future by becoming the youngest athlete to ever win a Winter Dew Tour final. The 16-year-old started his run with a double cork 1260 mute, a left 900 tailgrab, and a double flair mute, finishing with an alley-oop flat 360 safety and a switch 900 mute.
“My first run couldn’t have gone better, so I wasn’t nervous on my next run and just sent it,” said Yater-Wallace, following his win. “I went a little bigger, got bigger grabs and instead of a switch 7, I went switch 9. I ended up stomping it and I’ve never done a switch 9, so luckily I landed it. I’m so stoked. I’ve never podiumed at a Dew Tour and I’ve never gotten first at a pro event, so it’s a good day for everything.”
The ladies kicked off the afternoon of freeski finals at Killington’s superpipe. Maddie Bowman brought amplitude and style to a run that landed her in first place for the Pantech Invitational and put her in the lead for the race to the Dew Cup. She started with a straight air, a left 900, and a second straight air, followed by a left 540 into a right 540, and finished off with a left 720. Bowman was just as happy for the success of her fellow competitors over the weekend.
“I was just stoked to be skiing and to watch all the other girls ski,” she said. “We had a great time and it was really fun.”
All of the competitors will have the option to sign over their winnings as a contribution on behalf of freeski icon Sarah Burke. “Sarah was a friend and an idol,” said Bowman, following her win. “She was so kind-hearted, and we’re skiing for her always. She’ll never be forgotten for us.” For more information, please go to www.giveforward.com/sarahburke.
You can catch all of the final runs from today’s top finishers here. Tomorrow’s snowboard competitions will air live on NBC at 3 p.m. EST. Ski competitions can be caught later in the evening on NBC Sports Network.
For more information on the Dew Tour, visit www.AlliSports.com.
Winter Dew Tour Pantech Invitational
Jan. 19-22, 2012
Women’s Freeski Superpipe Final
1. Maddie Bowman, South Lake Tahoe, Cali., 87.50.
2. Devin Logan, Dover, Vt., 86.00.
3. Brita Sigourney, Carmel, Cali., 85.00.
4. Annalisa Drew, Andover, Mass., 75.25.
5. Anais Caradeux, France, 73.25.
6. Ayana Onozuka, Japan, 72.75.
Women’s Freeski Superpipe – Tour Rankings
1. Maddie Bowman, 100.
2. Devin Logan, 90.
3. Brita Sigourney, 82.
4. Annalisa Drew, 76.
5. Anais Caradeux, 72.
6. Ayana Onozuka, 68.
Men’s Freeski Superpipe Final
1. Torin Yater-Wallace, Snowmass, Colo., 93.75.
2. Tai Barrymore, Sun Valley, Id., 88.50.
3. Tucker Perkins, North Hampton, N.H., 85.75.
4. Justin Dorey, Canada, 83.00.
5. Kevin Rolland, France, 80.50.
6. David Wise, Reno, Nev., 78.75.
7. Joss Christensen, Park City, Utah, 77.38.
8. Duncan Adams, Breckenridge, Colo., 76.75.
9. Taylor Seaton, Avon, Colo., 76.50.
10. Gus Kenworthy, Telluride, Colo., 76.00.
11. Noah Bowman, Canada, 73.25.
12. Xavier Bertoni, France, 46.25.
Men’s Freeski Superpipe – Tour Rankings
1. Kevin Rolland, 172.
2. Torin Yater-Wallace, 168.
3. Justin Dorey, 166.
4. Tucker Perkins, 154.
5. Duncan Adams, 142.
6. Tai Barrymore, 129.
7. Gus Kenworthy, 128.
8. David Wise, 116.
9. Noah Bowman, 92.
10. Taylor Seaton, 91.
Add a comment